I've been playing around with WiX 3.0 together with Votive (the latest
builds). Every time I tried to use either XmlConfig or XmlFile I got these
kinds of messages:

Error 12 The localization variable !(loc.msierrXmlConfigFailedRead) is
unknown. Please ensure the variable is defined.

After some googling, I found out that there is a known bug/feature (
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=642714&aid=1602664&group_id=105970)
that forces you to specify one or more cultures when running the linker. So
I tried to set the "Cultures" property in the Votive project dialog to
"en-US". However, when saving the changes, the Cultures property wasn't
persisted to the .wixproj file.

The workaround:

1) Right-click the project node and select "Unload Project"
2) Right-click the project node again (now marked Unavailable) and select
"Edit YourProjectName.wixproj"
3) In the first property group, add the following node:
   <Cultures>en-US</Cultures>
4) Save the file, close it
5) Right-click the project node and select "Reload Project"

This did the trick, and I'm finally able to edit my .config files..!

Regards,

Anders Ljusberg

--
http://ljusberg.se/blogs/smorakning