I'm having difficulties with running XMLConfig from two packages.

I have XMLConfig data in two WiX MSI packages, updating key=blah
value=blah2 entries in two different XML files. I can run either
install, and the XMLConfig operations in that package will succeed (no
errors and changes are present), but if I then run the other package, it
fails when attempting to open the referenced XML file (indicates that
the file, which is correct in the error message, does not exist).

I'm working on creating two test packages to confirm that nothing else
is going on that could be causing my symptoms and to see if rebooting
between packages resolves the issue, but has anyone else observed this,
and if so, do you have a workaround?

Thanks,