From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gordon Watts
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:28 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Upgrading to v3 and Vista...

Hi there,
  First of all, Votive v3 and the error messages that come from v3 of
light/etc. are fantastic. That and the mailing list archives allowed me
to answer most of my questions. Kudos!

  A few issues/questions remain.

1) I'd like to convert the following to the new RegistryValue wix
element, but I'm not sure how to deal with the double-quotes in my
CDATA:

<Registry Action="write" Id="TortCVSSHArgs" Key="Software\TortoiseCVS"
Name="External SSH Params" Type="string" Root="HKLM">
    <RegistryValue><![CDATA[-o "StrictHostKeyChecking no" -2 -l "%u"
"%h"]]></RegistryValue>
</Registry>

  Is there some obvious format, or a way to continue to use the CDATA
specification?

2) This used to work on windows XP and v2 of WiX. I have a custom action
which I schedule to run "Before" the InstalFinalize. This custom action
(deferred) runs an executable that I've installed. When I run the
installer it bombs because the file hasn't been copied to its final
location. When I look at the verbose log file I see that, indeed, the
"FileCopy" operation seems to be executed only after the InstallFinalize
action is started. I want this guy to run deferred because it needs
elevated privs, but if I do run it deferred then I have to run it before
the InstallFinalize. I'm sensing a catch-22 here... So, what can I do to
get around this?

3) In converting my wix source over to v3 I had the same problem lots of
other people seem to have had with short cuts. I moved almost all my
shortcuts over to be advertised. Much to my surprise, they just worked.
Both in non-admin and admin worlds. Neat. We'll see if they survie
deployment in a Terminal Server environment! But, there is one short cut
I can't crack. This is a short cut to cmd.exe. It executes a script as
an argument. So it isn't really associated with a file I install, and so
(as far as I understand) can't be advertised. However, one of its
command line arguments is a file that I do install. Originally that file
and this shortcut were in the same component but I got the "system and
user profile items in same component: use registry value in HKCU as key
path." There was a great email that explained to me (at least) why this
should be avoided, so I moved it into a second component. Now,
however..., I am getting the warning ICE69: cross component reference
(bad because if a component isn't installed during upgrade the reference
may evaluate to null -- that would be bad if the shortcut to cmd was
made and didn't reference anything!). What is the proper method to fix
this? Is there a way to advertise a shortcut like this?

4) At one point I experimented with ignoring warnings/errors in the IDE.
Specifically, I wanted "light" to ignore ICE64 (which is an error). When
I entered "64" in "suppress warnings" this didn't alter behavior. Is
this expected behavior because this is an error?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

Cheers,

  Gordon.