The problem is that you can't set the background of a checkbox control to be
transparent.  To
achieve what you want you need to make the checkbox control the same size as
the checkbox, cutting
off all the text.  You then need to create a new text control next to the
checkbox and make it
transparent.  The main problem here is that the user can't change the check
state by clicking the
text as they could before.  Apparently it also confuses screenreaders, if you
have any customers who
might require them.

Rob