Following on from the previous message I double checked what I have
installed.

I downloaded the Stable 2.0 version from the wix page (file is listed as
2.0.4820.0)

I then downloaded the SDK from the link on the wix web page which took me to
the SDK download section. I downloaded the x86 sdk (verson listed as
3790.1830)

When I extracted the sampleUpgrade code I changed the GUIDs for the Error
and Fixed files to be the same and in the Patch.wxs file specified the
TargetPRoductId as that of the Product ID. I assume this is right

Then I simply followed the instructions on the tutorial on building Error,
Fixed, Patch and then the msp file.

When trying to build the msp a dos window flashes up (not able to see
contents) before I get the error message previously described.

You said you were able to build this, do you have a different environment
setup somehow?