From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Roger Lipscombe
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:28 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Votive under VS2005 reports "This installation is
forbidden by system policy" when running as LUA

[Please excuse me if this is a stupid question: I'm just getting started with
WiX]

I'm just playing with WiX v3.0 and Votive. I've created a new WiX MSI project,
and when building it (and changing all the PUT-WHATEVER-HERE values), Light
reports the following error:

Error LGHT0216: An unexpected Win32 exception with error code 0x659 occurred:
This installation is forbidden by system policy.  Contact your system
administrator

I looked this up in Google, and all I could find were references to the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer, specifically the DisableMSI
value (documented at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368304.aspx).
I'm running Windows 2003, so I guess that the default applies. I assume that
"managed applications" in this context means .NET applications, correct?

When I build it with an admin account, I get an ICE validation error instead.
It appears to me that the ICE checks don't work in a non-Admin account. Is
there any way to get them to work, or should I simply turn them off? If I turn
them off, then the project builds successfully, but this probably isn't ideal.

I'd prefer not to set DisableMSI to zero, which appears to allow installations
for all applications, because I think that it might open a security hole. Or am
I missing something?

Regards,
Roger.

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete
without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery.
NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind 1E Ltd to
any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or
government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.