Unfortunately windows installer only recognises 3 part version numbers,
so to windows installer these are both v0.0.9.

Neil

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alex
Henderson
Sent: 27 February 2007 21:12
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Help getting upgrades to work

I'm still getting to grips with WiX... my current problem is trying to
figure out how I can get upgrades to work.

What I'm looking to do is just have later versions of the same product
uninstall the previously version and install the new version (At this
point I'd be quite happy if it was silent...).. here's what I've got so
far, the PRODUCTBUILDVERSION variable is a 2 part version number (such
as 9.122) with the last part being aligned with our build numbers.

So I did this:

<Upgrade Id="58acbe6b-ffd2-4c7d-97a3-6b16f7d76384">

  <UpgradeVersion Minimum="0.0.0.0"

                      IncludeMinimum="yes"

                      Maximum="0.0.$(var.PRODUCTBUILDVERSION)"

                      IncludeMaximum="no"

                      Property="PREVIOUSVERSIONFOUND"/>

  <UpgradeVersion OnlyDetect="yes"

                      Property="NEWERVERSIONFOUND"

                      Minimum="0.0.$(var.PRODUCTBUILDVERSION)"

                      IncludeMinimum="no"/>

</Upgrade>

And then...

<CustomAction Id="NoDowngrade" Error="A later version of [ProductName]
is already installed!" />

<InstallExecuteSequence>

  <Custom Action="NoDowngrade"
After="FindRelatedProducts">NEWERVERSIONFOUND</Custom>

  <RemoveExistingProducts Before="InstallInitialize"/>

</InstallExecuteSequence>

But when the version number changes up,  say from 0.0.9.121, to
0.0.9.122, the product displays the usual error dialog:

"Another version of this product is already installed.  Installation of
this version cannot continue.  To configure or remove the existing
version of this product, us Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel"

Could anyone offer me some guidance on how to implement upgrades?

Chez,

-          Alex