I have created a plugin for the PIM Act!  This plugin dll must be installed
in a subfolder of the Act! installation directory only if Act! is installed.

I would like to package the plugin in a merge module so that different teams
at our company can use it by simply including it in their installer
project.  All the teams use InstallShield except the team I am on (I am
working on that).  I would like to write the merge module using WiX.

The merge module I have written works great if Act! is installed, but fails
miserably when Act! is not. It still installs the plugin, but to a location
relative to C:.  I am getting Act's installation folder fine, but I think
the way I am defining the Directory element is wrong.

I am retrieving the Act installation folder using this fragment:

<Property Id="ACTPATH">
   <RegistrySearch Id='ActInstallDir' Type='raw'
       Root='HKLM' Key='SOFTWARE\ACT\Install' Name='InstallPath' />
</Property>

and defining the plugin folder like this:

<Directory Id='TARGETDIR' Name='SourceDir'>
   <Directory Id='ACTPATH' Name='ActDir'>
       <Directory Id='PluginsDir' Name='Plugins'>
           <Component Id='Plugin'
Guid='31A99920-6E0A-4e31-B569-180D46439930'>
               <File Id='NHPlugindll' Name='NHPlugin.dll' src='NHPlugin.dll'
/>
               <Condition>ACTPATH &lt;&gt; ""</Condition>
           </Component>
       </Directory>
   </Directory>
</Directory>

What happens when Act! is not installed is that the plugin is installed in
c:\ActDir\plugins which does make sense because in the absence of the
ACTPATH property, "ActDir" is set as the actual name of the folder.  So it
is clear that I don't have a good understanding how this should be written.

Can someone explain the right way to do this if it is even possible?