Thanks for answering my questions.  That makes sense now.  Heat creating
the componentgroup would be very helpful to me.  What version/build is
it in?

From: Bob Arnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 10:53 AM
To: Scott Sam
Cc: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Heat. Can it not generate registry entries?

Scott Sam wrote:

Sorry if these is are stupid questions, but if there are better ways to
do things than the way I am currently, I'm quite interested in learning
them.  Linkable to what?  If you link in the fragment do you still have
to make the component reference?  What is the advantage of having them
separately linkable?

The linker (light) always links in the entire fragment of anything you
reference. So if you have a fragment with 100 components and you
ComponentRef one of them, the entire fragment of 100 components is
linked in. If you want more control, use a small fragment. I'm not sure
it makes sense as the default for heat; in fact, I added some code
recently that, when the -sfrag switch is passed, creates a
ComponentGroup for every component, so you don't have to ComponentRef
every single component.

--
sig://boB
http://bobs.org