Is there any reason not to have a script automatically regenerate the product
code for each build? To my understanding, it has to change with every
release anyway, so why not automatically generate it?

Also, it's my understanding that component GUIDs are supposed to change
whenever their contents change. What's the best way to handle this? When
we're making a release, it's not immediately obvious what components have
files that have changed since the last release, and there's no way we can
regenerate the guid on a component every time anyone makes a change to any
of the files it's composed from.