Mike Dimmick wrote:
> Well, unless running an elevated advertised installation, of course.
> I’m coming to the conclusion that that’s what per-user installs are for.

Which, by the way, are actually quite horrible thing at least
in managed environments. Uninstalling, updating and patching
have to be made by the user who installed the program (with
elevated priviledges, of course.) User could log in, install
a program then log out and after that there is no clean way
to uninstall the program from machine without the very same
user logging back in.

And please all remember that ALLUSERS is a public property,
so it can and will be easily overridden. It's much more
important to make your msi's behave well in all possible
installation scenarios than try to fiddle with Desktop
Icons, All Users, ALLUSERS etc. to make the installation
"perfect" for local Administrator.

"Tao of the Windows Installer, Part 5" has good points:
<http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/archive/2006/07/28/681358.aspx>

--
Mikko Järvinen
University of Turku, Computing Centre