I thought I'd got the hang of this, but just can't understand what's going
on.  I need to install a file to a location specified in the registry, and
need some help.

so, the location I'm searching for (and probably many others) is located at:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\CEAPPMGR.EXE

which is the location that the WIndows Mobile installer is located, as an
exe file.

I need to strip the exe off to find the location, so that I can install into
my folder below there.

Then at the end of the install, I need to run the specified exe with some
additional arguments (the name of my cab file in fact).  Some of you will
now recognize that this is the standard way to install an app on a windows
mobile device.

First, I try to read in the properties at the top of the file from the
registry:
    <Property Id="CEAPPMGRDIR" Value="c:\defaultdir\">
      <RegistrySearch Id="CEAPPMGRDIRreg" Root="HKLM" Type="directory"
                      Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\CEAPPMGR.EXE" Name="c:\crud\crud\myapp.txt"></RegistrySearch>
    </Property>

So, I try in my WiX project to define my directory strructure thus:
    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
      <Directory Id="CEAPPMGRDIR">
     <Directory Id="MFR" Name="Wieser Software Ltd">
      <Directory Id="INSTALLLOCATION" Name="Prog">

       <Component Id="ProductComponent" Guid="MYGUIDHERE">
              <File Id="MainProgram"  Name="prog.cab"
                    Source="prog.cab" DiskId="1"  >
              </File>
              <File Id="ReleaseTxt" Name="release.txt"
Source=".\release.txt" />
       </Component>

      </Directory>
     </Directory>
      </Directory>
  </Directory>

Unfortunately, the files get installed into: c:\defaultdir

However, the registry key I'm searching for specifies this (exported from my
registry)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\CEAPPMGR.EXE]
@="C:\\Windows\\WindowsMobile\\CEAppMgr.exe"

Any ideas what stupid error I've made in my code above?

Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd