Hello,

I'm trying to do quite simple thing - set a shortcut to installed
executable. It works and if my icon is embedded in executable I can see
icon image displayed on the shortcut:

This works fine:

<File Id="notepad_exe" Compressed="no" Name="notepad.exe" DiskId="1"
Source="C:\src\notepad.exe" Vital="yes" KeyPath="yes">
        <Shortcut Id="DesktopShortcut"  Directory="DesktopFolder"
Name="TestIcon" Advertise="no" Icon="notepad.exe"
WorkingDirectory="APPLICATIONFOLDER" IconIndex="0" />
</File>
<Icon Id="notepad.exe" SourceFile="C:\src\notepad.exe" />

But when I try to use a separate icon file, I see a symbolic image of an
icon, instead of icon image itself (the same symbolic image of an icon
that I see in Windows explorer):

This does not quite work:

<File Id="notepad_exe" Compressed="no" Name="notepad.exe" DiskId="1"
Source="C:\src\notepad.exe" Vital="yes" KeyPath="yes">
        <Shortcut Id="DesktopShortcut"  Directory="DesktopFolder"
Name="TestIcon" Advertise="no" Icon="icon.ico"
WorkingDirectory="APPLICATIONFOLDER" IconIndex="0" />
</File>
<Icon Id="icon.ico" SourceFile="C:\src\icon'ico" />

If I open my desktop folder, and select "Thumbnails" view I can see my
icon.ico picture on the shortcut, but in all other modes I just see
symbolic image of an icon.

Is there a way to make it working?

And two more questions, that are related:

1. I assumed that IconIndex references to the index of the image inside
.exe, .dll, or .ico files, but when I try to set nonzero IconIndex in
wxs file, the shortcut looses it's icon.
   I can see in the editor, that file has multiple images.

2. After shortcut is created by Windows Installer, I tried go to
"Properties/Change Icon" to find out what are the actual icon settings,
but editing of the properties was disabled.
   I did not put (at least explicitly) any user account restrictions in
my Wix files, and I use domain account with administrator privileges.
    System is Windows XP.
   Is it possible to "unlock" for edditing properties of installed
shortcut?

I'd appreciate any help or ideas about above problems.

Igor M