My apologies if this has already been answered, but I did skim all the
digests since the one this was in looking for an answer.  With the caveat
that I setup the localization to the default (en-us), this works for me
(simplified here):

  light -cultures:en-us -loc "lang\en-us\prod_en-us.wxl" -ext WixUIExtension
  <...wixlibs...>   prod.wixobj -out prod.msi

where my prod_en-us.wxl looks like this:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<WixLocalization Culture='en-us'
xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/localization'>
    <String Id='LANG'>1033</String>
    <String Id='CreateDesktopShortcut'>Create Desktop shortcut</String>
    <String Id='CreateStartMenuShortcut'>Create shortcut in the Start
Menu</String>
    <String Id='CreateProgramGroupShortcut'>Create a Program Group with a
shortcut</String>
</WixLocalization>

I am wondering why you have a "strings.xml" file and a .wxl file, that
doesn't make sense.

Julie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]