Potentiostat wrote:
> Now I have two problems. The first is the install needing permission on
> Vista, probably because I am installing files to a sub folder of program
> files.  Our software sometimes gets installed on networked PCs in large
> companies, so  I would like to avoid needing permission, because IT
> departments can be very slow at coming out to log in as administrator.  We
> have a digital signature, all exe are signed as is the  MSI.

Signing doesn't eliminate the need for elevation when a package needs
elevation -- it just provides more information to the elevation prompt.
Administrators can advertise packages which lets standard users install
them later and, of course, admins can also use tools like GPO and SMS to
"push" packages.
> When I install the software I get the permission message with the our
> certificate details on it, but when I use this un-install link it shows
> unknown publisher.  Anyway around this?

That's known behavior. MSI caches your package after stripping out
embedded CABs and uses that for maintenance-mode operations. Any change
invalidates the digital signature so MSI strips it out to avoid a bad
error message -- the elevation prompt therefore reverts to the unsigned
variant.

--
sig://boB
http://bobs.org