Thanks for the tip. I only (at the time) cared about the install on windows
2000. According to MSDN http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367559.aspx:

Windows Vista:  Windows Installer version 4.0 complies with User Account
Control (UAC). If the user has user access privileges, and ALLUSERS=2, the
installer performs a per-machine installation only if Admin credentials are
provided to the UAC dialog box. If UAC is enabled and the correct Admin
credentials are not provided, the installation fails with an error stating that
administrator privileges are required. If UAC is disabled by the registry key,
group policy, or the control panel, the UAC dialog box is not displayed and the
installation fails with an error stating that administrator privileges are
required.

Windows XP:  If the user has user access privileges, and ALLUSERS=2, Windows
Installer performs a per-user installation and uses the folders in the user's
profile.

Windows 2000:  The Windows Installer performs a per-user or per-machine
installation depending on the value of the ALLUSERS property. If the ALLUSERS
property is not set, the Installer does a per-user installation. If the
ALLUSERS property is set to 1, the Installer attempts a per-machine
installation. The per-machine installation succeeds only if the user has
administrative access privileges on the computer. If the ALLUSERS property is
set to 2, the Installer first attempts a per-machine installation. In this
case, the per-machine installation succeeds only if the user has administrative
access privileges on the computer. Otherwise, the Installer does a per-user
installation.

I can locate any documentation (after 10 minutes of searching, only) on
ALLUSERS=1. Is there a reference for that?

-Dustin