Although Rob et al, don't recommend this approach we have been using
Heat, and it's predecessor, as part of our automated build process for
over a year with Wix3.

The main things to be wary of are the spurious entries generated by
Heat, for example VB6 entries which should not be there.

However this is where XML shines, using both Xpath and tranforms, you
can sanitise the output from heat directly into compilable code.

We use Ant as our main build tool and xmltask a contributed package for
ant works very well for the substitions and removal. I am unaware if
Nant has a similar package.