OK, I have to admit, I still can't fathom all of the implicit rules going on
here.

On Rob's blog, he shows a way of installing shortcuts, and shows us an
example that hangs them here:
<RegistryKey Root="HKCU"  Key="Software\My Application\Uninstall">

But, what I'd like to do, is create my values in this way instead:
<RegistryKey Root="HKCU"  Key="Software\My Company\My
Application\Uninstall">

I have a similar desire to create application folders on the system like
this:
  <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
      <Directory Id="CommonAppDataFolder">
        <Directory Id="companyCAD" Name="Company Name Here">

<!-- Does a component need to go here? -->

          <Directory Id="productCAD" Name="Product Name here">
            <Component Id="PersistentDataFolder" Guid="GUID-HERE">
              <CreateFolder>
                <Permission GenericAll="yes" User="Administrators" />
                <Permission ReadPermission="yes" Synchronize ="yes"
                        Read="yes" ReadAttributes="yes"
ReadExtendedAttributes="yes"
                        CreateFile="yes" WriteAttributes="yes"
WriteExtendedAttributes="yes" CreateChild="yes"
                        GenericWrite="yes"  User="Users"/>
              </CreateFolder>
            </Component>
          </Directory>
<!-- End component here? -->
        </Directory>
      </Directory>
.... more stuff
</Directory>

Should I be creating components for the inner empty folders, and registry
keys?  I can't seem to find an explicit answer in the MSI or WiX
documentation.

Maybe that's because there's no right answer, so if I did do it, I presume
the component GUID would need to be constant across all of my installs,
because of the component rules discussed earlier today.  I also presume that
this would allow the node to be removed when there are no longer any users
of the component.

What happens if I leave it the way it is?  I would have guessed that the
key's above Uninstalled in Rob's example would be orphaned, but it seems
that they're removed.  Is it just that empty keys are removed, if not marked
permanent on an uninstall?

Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd