I use this very successfully actually and have not had any problems with
it.  My feature declaration looks like this:
<Feature Id="MyFeature" Title="My Application Feature" Display="hidden"
Level="1" ConfigurableDirectory="INSTALLDIR" AllowAdvertise="no">
  <ComponentRef Id="MyInstallComponent" />
  <Condition Level="1"><![CDATA[MY_NEEDED_PROPERTY]]></Condition>
  <Condition Level="0"><![CDATA[NOT MY_NEEDED_PROPERTY]]></Condition>
</Feature>

The "Condition" tag sets the feature to 1 or 0 based on the presence of
[MY_NEEDED_PROPERTY].  I use this in several different installs and it works
great.  For instance I have an install where the client and server
components are in the same install and you can't install both on the same
box.  That is where this example comes from as a matter of fact.  You could
go even further to place conditions on the individual components that check
for the install actions of particular features to ensure the desired
installation behavior.

See the following for more information:

Regards,
//aj