Then what I described should help you.  Remember, properties don't persist
after the installation.   So if your UI set the property and/or your
application later changed it,  a simple AppSearch will `prime the pump`  if you
will and cause the same data to be written back out if the component reinstalls.

  BTW,  have you tried `repairing` your application?  I think you'll find you
have the same problem since repair reinstalls the component.

Rennie Petersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
      Rob and Christopher, thanks.

  Rob, you say "played games like this". You seem to be implying I'm doing
something in a non-standard or non-optimal way? If so, please let me know what
a more standard way would be to do this.

  The reason I do not want to change the registry entries is that these
registry entries are used by the application to store changes in the
configuration. For example, one registry entry is used to indicate the language
to be used by the running application. It is initialized to Danish or English
at install time, depending on Windows locale info or a value entered via the
UI. But later, the user may change his/her mind and specify a different
language. An install of a minor upgrade should preserve the new value rather
than re-initialize it, otherwise the users will get upset since they have to
re-change the language once again.

  Maybe this is poor application design? The application should accept
installation values in one set of registry entries and save running values
elsewhere?

  But if I do it that way, how should one tell the application that you really
do want it to change the values to new installation values when that is
advantageous, for example a re-install to force a change to Swedish when that
language support is added and most of the users at this site are Swedish?

  Rennie