Yes, I've read the documentation, and am working very hard to circumvent
the requirement to manage the GUIDs. It is an administrative burden
which would make WiX unusable for us.

My WiX file is currently being auto-generated during project build,
based on a directory scan of over 400 files in various directories and
sub-directories. There is no way I am going to manage 400 files by hand.
They are changed by team members who are not me and have no interest in
hand tuning them and hand assigning GUIDs. Hence, I'm doing the best I
can to auto-generate the file, with static PackageIds and UpgradeIds,
which are managed by hand (file is generated using an XSL template and
various tools).

So, I am trying to find the most appropriate way to handle version
upgrades between packages when I know each component will have a new
GUID for each build of the file. If that means forcing major upgrades
for each version, so be it. Using a single component would apparently
make that easier... but doesn't seem to be doable as you say.

I think I'm about far enough into this to realize that I will just have
to forgo using the things I wanted to use: merge modules, etc. I am
probably going to figure out how to use NSIS to develop a bootstrapper
around the MSI files I auto generate at this point.

Oh well.

Thanks for your help.