Ian Stevenson wrote:
I see you've already gone down the exe path somewhat, but I would like to point out that you can debug MSI DLLs - just not via the debugger (albeit maybe you can, as the links below made mention of info in MSI.chm, but I believe it is meant to be a lot of effort).

It's not that bad. The easiest way is to include a conditional MessageBox call then, when it's visible and therefore blocking, use your debugger to attach to the msiexec.exe process that's showing the message box.

Anyway, if you search for MsiRecordSetString and logging you should be well on your way. I've got a function that does exactly this in one of my custom action dlls, and it proved invaluable.

You can simplify that using WcaLog in WiX's wcautil.lib.

--
sig://boB
http://joyofsetup.com/