My understanding is that the order that shortcuts appear is
usually alphabetical. But ultimately it is a user-setting. Schortcut
groups are just folders and I believe that the arrange by setting
applies.

Windows does store some special metadata about ordering though, since
you can drag items around into the order that you want. Take a look in
the registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Men
uOrder\Start Menu\Programs.

Cheers,
John