John Hall wrote:

                I'm in the process of migrating my installer from
InstallShield to WiX 3. As part of this I have reorganised and
rationalised the features in the product.

                When I come to do a major upgrade from the old
installation to my new one, all of the features in my product in the
customize dialog are unselected. If I install cleanly, they are all
selected.

        As always: Start with the verbose log. MSI will pass an ADDLOCAL
property to the server when it comes to actually installing the product.
I'm assuming you have RemoveExistingProducts scheduled early, so you can
also check out InstallValidate action logging, to see the features and
components that are getting removed (old version) and selected for
install (new version).

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. RemoveExistingProducts is scheduled after
InstallInitialize and so has not been run when we get to the customize
screen. It isn't actually migrating any feature states from the old
version either:

        MSI (c) (60:F0) [06:04:52:081]: Doing action:
MigrateFeatureStates
        MSI (c) (60:F0) [06:04:52:081]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: ActionText
        Action 6:04:52: MigrateFeatureStates. Migrating feature states
from related applications
        Action start 6:04:52: MigrateFeatureStates.
        MSI (c) (60:F0) [06:04:52:091]: Skipping MigrateFeatureStates
action: feature settings already made
        Action ended 6:04:52: MigrateFeatureStates. Return value 0.

So it is not clear to me from the log why it is unselecting all the
features. There is no other mention of features in the log. What sets up
the initial feature action states?

Regards,
John