From: Callum Hibbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Aug 10, 2007 11:46 AM
Subject: Registry permissions query
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Hello,

I am writing an installer with WiX to install a couple of Custom Adapters
for BizTalk. I have manually installed the adapters successfully, using the
WiX installer I am having one problem relating to the permissions on the
registry keys.

The adapters need a number of registry settings. With the manual method
I wrote a ".reg" file and merged the file into the registry. However, if add
the registry keys through WiX the permissions on the root registry key are
different. I'm not sure why this is, as I am performing both operations
(manual registry merge and MSI install) logged on as the same user. The
difference in the permissions mean my BizTalk Adapters won't configure
properly.

When I do the manual registry merge the permissions list on the root
key looks like this:

[machine name]\Administrators - Full Control | Read | Special Permissions
[some domain account] - Full Control | Read | Special Permissions
CREATOR OWNER - Special Permissions
[logged on user during install] - Special Permissions
SYSTEM - Full Control | Read | Special Permissions
[machine name]\Users - Read | Special Permissions

When the registry keys are added via a WiX created installer, the permisions
on the root key are as follows:

 [machine name]\Administrators - Full Control | Read | Special Permissions
[logged on user during install] - Full Control | Read | Special Permissions
RESTRICTED - Read | Special Permissions
SYSTEM - Full Control | Read | Special Permissions

As stated above, I'm logged on as the same user for both methods so I don't
get why the permissions would be different. It seems to me like the
additional users added with the manual merge are added automatically, I
don't see why they wouldn't be using an installer.

Can anyone advise me on what to do? I looked at the "Permission" element but
I don't see how I can determine these users that are added automatically,

Thanks in advance,

Callum