I'm no expert, but I can't imagine it is a good idea to use your
SystemFolder as a source. In our deployments, I usually make it a condition
: third party tools should be installed as prerequisites, with installers
provided (vb runtimes in your case).

If you really need to have the files included, why not copy them to two
locations in your source directory, and use Msbuild. Set, say, $(dllsource),
then reference that within your wxs.

If I had to take a stab in the dark, I'd say [SystemFolder] depends on the
context you are running under.