Alexei wrote:

> Have a look
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681383.aspx here
> - its the first one on the list. Course that's if it was an
> error from Windows Installer. If it was from your DLL then I
> got nothin'.
> However I believe the conventional wisdom is not to use
> managed CAs since they place too many pre-requisites on the
> target system - having the .NET framework installed for example.

If your application has the .NET framework as a prerequisite then that
doesn't really matter. From reading Rob Mensching's post on the subject
[1], the main problem is with the versions of the .NET runtime. Once a
process has loaded a version of the runtime, it can't load any other.

If it becomes common for CAs to be written in managed code then the
probability of two CAs requiring different .NET runtimes increases and
at some point you will get a conflict and your installer will
mysteriously fail. There are also some other issues with Windows Server
2003 if you read the post.

Regards,
John

[1]