Adding wix-users back to the thread.

To answer your last question first, I know of no real way of telling what
tool created the .MSI, except perhaps if Installshield has placed references
in the Registry table of the .MSI. You might see things like
"Installshield_InstallDriver)

If all you have is the .MSI to work from, you're in for a bit of work. Get
the platform SDK, install Orca, open up the .MSI and inspect it. This should
give you an idea of what to work towards, and a reference point to examine
the output from dark. You can actually edit the .MSI within Orca, but you
might want to do some reading first.

You might end up having to recreate some of the work. If the .MSI contains
custom actions, those can be extracted and re-incorporated into your
project, and if there are a lot of files, well, I'd just install it, copy
the files to a different place, and point my .wxs at them.

Personally, I've made the switch to WiX v3, as none of the open bugs affect
any of my projects. If this is your first time with Wix, I'd suggest v2,
there are excellent tutorials and plenty answered questions in the mailing
lists' archive. As Bob said in another email, Wix v2 is a low risk option,
Wix v3 is medium risk.