I think you better off with $(env.SystemDrive)  but that is only available in
WinNT or this property:

WindowsVolume Property

The installer sets the WindowsVolume property to the volume of the windows
folder. The property always ends with a backslash. This can be used to set the
default location to the volume the Windows folder is on because the ROOTDRIVE
<https://owa.nl.logicacmg.com/exchange/75971/Drafts/RE:%20%5BWiX-users%5D%20Install%20to%20ROOTDRIVE.EML/rootdrive.htm>
  property does not necessarily equal this drive.

I believe this should work then (not tried):

<CustomAction Id="CA_TARGETDIR" Return="check" Execute="firstSequence"
Property="TARGETDIR" Value="[WindowsVolume]" />

<InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="CA_TARGETDIR"
After="ValidateProductID"><![CDATA[TARGETDIR=""]]></Custom>
</InstallExecuteSequence>