Can anybody point me to instructions for:

        (1)     Associating an icon to a particular file type

        (2)    Launching the application to which that file type is
associated when the icon is double-clicked

Dan,

Here is some example XML taken from one of my products (it's WiX 3.0,
but should be adaptable for v2):

        <Component Id="FileTypes.BSDL" Guid="...">
          <File Id="bsdl.ico" Name="BSDL.ico" />

          <RegistryValue Id="Reg.Extn.BSD"  Root="HKCR" Key=".bsd"
Value="BSDLfile" Type="string" />
          <RegistryKey Id="Reg.Class.BSDL" Root="HKCR" Key="BSDLfile"
Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall">
            <RegistryValue Id="Reg.Class.BSDL.Value" Value="BSDL File"
Type="string" />
            <RegistryValue Id="Reg.Class.BSDL.Icon" Key="DefaultIcon"
Value="[#bsdl.ico],0" Type="string" />
          </RegistryKey>
        </Component>

I have my icon for the filetype in an icon file, but you could reference
an exe or dll that you've installed instead.

Regards,

John