I'm sure you've seen the message in which Rene pointed me in the direction
of pretty much exactly what I was proposing. I've had a look at it and it is
indeed what I have in mind but it is very new - clearly this is an idea
whose time has come. I am throwing my lot in with Julie (the op of this
wiki) although I note she says that she would merge with wixwiki if they
agreed to let her, but they ignored her request.

They didn't ignore my request - I do indeed have a login that allows me to
update wixwiki, so this too may happen.

Yes, it's all GPFDL.

Have a look at the history of this piece
http://wix.mindcapers.com/wiki/ICE60 and you will see the before and after.
This is what I mean when I say people should cull the essence of their
thread and give it to me for rewriting.