From a previous post:
"You could put a Condition element under the Product element like this:
<Condition Message='Please run the exe'>RUNFROMEXE = 1</Condition>

When you call msiexec from the exe be sure to pass RUNFROMEXE=1 as an argument.
Double-clicking the MSI file obviously won't provide this argument, and so the
launch condition will
fail."

I don't know if you can get Windows Installer to perform an early return, but
this is at least a
step in the right direction.

Rob