Roy Abou Assaly wrote:

> I basically have about 150 COM, ActiveX VB6 files.  I ran heat to produce
> the output and then modified them to produce 2 merge modules.  I used heat
> to avoid using the SelfRegCost attribute which as been frowned upon by
> many here.  I read Rob's blog about that :)
>
> I ran into 2 warnings which were ICE33 and ICE82.  I scoured the archive
> and was able to find that I can safely ignore the ICE33 and ICE82
> warnings.  I ran ORCA as well just to be safe which is why ICE33 showed up
> since I later realized that WiX suppresses it by default.
>
> examples are:
>
> light.exe: warning LGHT1076 : ICE82: This action
> ProgramMenuFolder.C7AC8538_65ED_4C2B_AE16_6291871D0918 has duplicate
> sequence number 2 in the table InstallExecuteSequence
>
> orca.exe: ICE33   WARNING   Reg key reg7EF074BB025A80CBFE2087521879C64E is
> used in an unsupported way. ProgId should be registered via the ProgId
> table. This entry may overwrite a value created through that table.
>
> After ignoring those 2 warning, I then proceeded to build my MSI and ran
> into 2 more errors that were output by candle:
>
> 1. RequiredFiles.wxs(81) : error CNDL0010 : The Class/@Context attribute
> was not found; it is required
>  when attribute {3E28E9C7-A265-41D6-B6EA-132B62605C75} is specified.
> 2. RequiredFiles.wxs(81) : error CNDL0010 : The Class/@Server attribute
> was not found; it is required.
>
> Initially, the entry looked like this:
>

> <Class Id="{479066AE-099A-41CB-80F2-A54BD8E891EF}" Description="Contains a
> List a ValueItem objects." Version="1.1">
>           <ProgId Id="GridEX20.JSValueList" Description="Contains a List a
> ValueItem objects." />
> </Class>
>
> To solve 1, I added the attribute Context="InprocServer32" into the Class
> element:
> To solve 2, I added the attribute Server="NameOfDll.dll" into the Class
> element:
>
> <Class Id="{479066AE-099A-41CB-80F2-A54BD8E891EF}"
> Context="InprocServer32" Server="GridEX20.ocx" Description="Contains a
> List a ValueItem objects." Version="1.1">
>           <ProgId Id="GridEX20.JSValueList" Description="Contains a List a
> ValueItem objects." />
> </Class>
>
> After doing all that, I ran into one more problem that involved ActiveX
> DLLs.  The error I got was a couple of times for the various ActiveX DLLs
> and was produced by light:
>
> RequiredFiles.wxs(500) : error LGHT0130 : The primary key
> regB69CCE91B63112D0023E330FD9CCE948.B05A
> 204B_CEB8_4A82_B515_ADFB4AE6965C' is duplicated in table 'Registry'.
> Please remove one of the entries or rename a part of the primary key to
> avoid the collision.
>
> I didn't quite understand this.   The line it referred to was this:
>
> <Class Id="{D5DE8D20-5BB8-11D1-A1E3-00A0C90F2731}"
> Context="InprocServer32" Server="GridEX20.ocx" Description="VBPropertyBag"
> ThreadingModel="apartment" />

> [...]

I've been reading more about heat, vb6 and vista.  I'm now starting to get
worried that there's a potential difference between running Heat on Vista
versus XP.  And yes, you do need to run as Admin, and elevated for Heat to
actually extract anything.  Also, Should I be deleting all the registry
entries that refer to the VB Virtual Machine Runtime DLL...I forget the
exact key, but it references "c:\windows\system32 ... MSVBRuntime(forgot
name).dll.

Perhaps there's a list of things that should be deleted..as in, after heat
produces the output, we need to do the following steps:

1.  Ignore ICE82
2.  Delete anything related to the VB Runtime DLL, etc.
3.  Run Smoke, ORCA, etc..

Any help would be appreciated as our migration to Vista is proving to be
painstakingly difficult.  I'm almost there, I'd just like to this clean up
now while I'm in development, rather than later when the product goes out
for testing.

Roy