On Thursday, September 27, 2007, at 11:00AM, "Kaveh Goudarzi" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>    I want see if it's ok to use the md5 of a dir name relative to
>INSTALL dir as its ID?  I have written a tallow equivalent ant task
>which automatically creates my fragment for me as part of my source
>build however I find I need to be able to refer to directories which
>were created as part of the auto-generated fragments.

That's pretty much what I do. I prefix them with "AUTO_" partly as
documentation, and partly because there's also a requirement that the first
char in the Id is alphabetic.

>   My thinking is that MD5 is a 32-character hexadecimal string so it
>should fit happily within the 72 chars that id has allocated in the db
>column and since its a deterministic derivative of the dir name I can
>always work out and refer to the id of any directory in the
>autogenerated fragements from within my hand rolles wxs files.
>

>   Are there any downsides to this approach?  what are the alternatives?

It makes reading the wxs files a bit of a pain, but I can't think of any other
downsides. Writing out the complete directory path in an XML comment  before
the <Directory> helps a little here.

Cheers,

Chris