Thanks Peter and Chad!

  I tried option 1. I may be interpreting this wrong, but I tried this
without sucess:
upgradeImage = newMSI (v.2002)
      targetImage = rtmMSI (v.1000)
upgradeImage = newMSI (v.2002)
      targetImage = sp1MSI (v.2000)

The error I get from msimsp.exe is: UpgradedImages.Upgraded = 'blah':
PackageCode {4E63E3D3-591B-4403-B0D2-8065687CCC61} is not unique.

I cannot find this GUID anywhere. 'blah' is Id the the second UpgradeImage I
specified.

Also, how do I find out more info about the validation bits?

Thanks!

Ning