Hi Bob - thanks for that help.

I reverted back to using the same Visual Studio MSM for the WiX installers
for this shared COM component (hoping that it would help). Unfortunately it
seems that this behaviour (un-installing the VS MSI breaking the COM
registration of the shared COM component used by a WiX MSI) is still there!

DETAILS
I have a shared MSM that installs a shared COM component to ...\Common
Files\... (built in VS2005)
i) If I build two VS2005 MSIs, that include this merge modules, they coexist
well and un-installing one doesn't break the other.
ii) If I build two WiX MSIs, that include this merge modules, again they
coexist well and un-installing one doesn't break the other.
iii) If I build a WiX MSI and a VS MSI, that both include this merge module,
when I un-install the Visual Studio one it breaks the WiX installation
(though conversely the WiX one doesn't break the VS2005 one).

QUESTIONS
1) I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the above issue (is it simply an
issue with VS2005 - for which there is no WiX workaround)
2) Secondly, given what Bob has already said: *Is* there a way of migrating
shared MSMs from VS2005 to WiX without breaking the component rules. My
guess is that the answer is "No", and that I have 2 options: either
  2.1) add a new duplicate COM class/typelib and have a new WiX MSM that
uses different file names and registry settings, or
  2.2) upgrade all our installers together to WiX and live with the fact
that the new set of installers cannot coexist (fully) with the VS2005 ones.

Many thanks in advance, David