Not necessarily true. It is OK to install the same component to different
paths; it is definitely wrong to install two different components to the
same path as then the references get cross-linked.

Windows Installer tracks where every installed product installed every
component that it installed. When removing a component, it checks to see
whether any other product is still referencing that component at the same
install path - if not, it removes it. If there is another component not
installed by that product which installed the same file, the other product
will then be broken.

When installing and removing components, the definition from the package you
are installing or maintaining is used. That's why you have to be very
careful with adding and removing files in components. If you produce a
(shared) component with files A, B, C and D and ship product P1, then add a
new file E and ship product P2, if the user installs P1 then P2 and removes
P2 then P1, file E will be left behind because it wasn't in P1's definition
of the component.

If you change the component GUID you _must_ move the resources. This no
doubt includes ensuring that a user doesn't install a later version to the
same folder as an old one.

Astute readers will realise that if you're performing only major upgrades
and you remove the old product before installing the new (i.e. schedule
RemoveExistingProducts between InstallValidate and InstallInitialize), you
can break a lot of component rules for private components that aren't shared
with any other products, because the old components are wiped out before the
new ones are installed. I'm not saying you should, I'm saying you're
unlikely to suffer the consequences. Do anything more complicated, with
shared components, minor upgrades, patches, or scheduling
RemoveExistingProducts anywhere else, and you quickly run into difficulty.
It's best to do it right to begin with so it doesn't affect

--
Mike Dimmick