Can you recommend another bootstrapper that can kick off an .exe (instead of the
.msi)?  Something tells me I might be writing my own bootstrapper tomorrow.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Arnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 00:09 AM
To: Nick
Cc: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Bootstrapper/Decryption

Nick wrote:
> I should probably be hung for doing this...

Certainly shunned.<g>

> I run the VS2005 bootstrapper to install C++ and .NET runtimes.  Then the
> bootstrapper starts an ORCA'd MSI.  This MSI asks the user to enter the
correct
> password.  If the user does so, the custom action de-crypts (that's why I need
> the C++ and .NET runtimes) a second MSI, and launches it.  Mind you, the
second
> MSI is the one I'm really trying to launch after password verification...
>
> Surely there's an easier way to do all this; would somebody care to enlighten
> me?

I'm not familiar with the VS bootstrapper but if it could kick off an
.exe, write a C# app to do the decryption and launch the MSI. From a
network management perspective, what you have can't be deployed by SMS
or other similar tools (assuming your CA runs from the UI).

--
sig://boB
http://joyofsetup.com/