What does the msi log say is happening here?  That is usually the best way
to troubleshoot custom action errors.  The other trick I'll use is pop up a
message box from my custom action code and then attach to it with the
debugger.  As a rule, any custom actions that modify the target system
should be deferred and you won't have access to msi properties (use
CustomActionData from a dll).

One question for you, though...  wouldn't it be better to utilize the MSI
registry table for creating registry keys?  It is not only transactional
(your keys are removed if the install fails), but they are removed on
uninstall and you can include properties and all kinds of other good stuff
in them.

Dana