Amy,
Our DB installation process originally specified the SQL instance by name
regardless of it being the default instance or not. We discovered that if we
named the default instance (MSSQLSERVER) DB creation would fail with
"unknown error" after 10-15 minutes of churning along. Changing our process
to only use an instance name if it is non-default allows our db build to
work correctly. We don't use the filespec elements (default names are fine
for us) so there may be something not working with those that is impacting
you.

You could try removing more elements and attributes and see if allowing
default values to be used helps this.