Jeff Bean wrote:

> Adam Majer-2 wrote:
>> Installing the runtime from VS2005 SP1 using the merge module (yes,
>> correct version) does NOT work on Vista while it works *perfectly* on
>> 2003 server - both clean installs of the respective OS. Both OSes need
>> the runtime installed for the program to run.
>>
>> The install log on Vista indicates that the merge module dlls are being
>> installed into a null directory.
>>

> Try moving the MERGE element down two lines so that it is just inside the
> outermost DIRECTORY element. That is where I put my MERGE element and it
> works for me on Vista. Also I used Language="1033" instead of Language ="0".

I "fixed" the problem.

Solution: Reinstall MS VS 2005 SP1

Lesson Learned: After installing service pack or even original VS,
*always* copy the merge modules to a safe place before they get
clobbered by some other SDK or "security patch".

I still have no idea why it worked on 2003 (2003 gives SxS not found
errors if SxS assembly not found) and it did not work on Vista. But it
was not a WiX problem. Same problem with VS Setup project.

- Adam