Beyond what the other people suggested, I think the QtExec CA already does what
you suggested with the executable data.  However, you really  shouldn't use an
executable.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Daniel
Doubrovkine
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 14:30
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] custom action executing managed executables

Dear all,

I read robmen's article on managed custom actions. I have an installer type
activity to execute that I must do during installation (installing performance
counters). You need to be admin to do that, so I have to run it within the
installation.

We want to execute the InstallPerfCounters.exe with a CA, which works easily
with a CustomAction. Unfortunately you don't get any feedback except success
and failure. I'd like InstallPerfCounters.exe to log back.

So I thought of a simple solution: implement a C++ custom action that spawns
InstallPerfCounters.exe, hooks up to its stdout and logs all lines into the MSI
log using the MSI API. Thus anything that InstallPerfCounters.exe outputs will
appear in the log.

Has anyone done something like this? Is this a good/bad/crazy idea?

Thx
dB.

Daniel Doubrovkine (dB.)
Development Manager & Lead Architect