1.  Yes.

2.  Tool to help generate some .wxs files for you up front.  The you
tweak the file as necessary and check it in.

3.  The better you understand the Windows Installer the easier WiX is to
understand.

4.  Yes, you need a bootstrapper.  That's basically the only thing that
works.

5.  Probably, but I don't use InstallShield so I couldn't tell you what
they were.