From: Bob Arnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] File element and DiskId

Craig Miller wrote:
> Why is the diskId associated with a "file"?

Because at the end of the day, files go into .cabs or disks.<g> That said,
you can also specify media IDs at the component or directory levels and they
"cascade" down to their contained files. What you can't do at the moment is
specify media IDs outside the fragment.

I think you can do everything you talk about. Media IDs are just integers;
you can create different Media elements at your product level; you just have
to do a "least common denominator" approach (i.e., break up your media such
that they fit on CD so you can reuse them on a DVD).

> Example 1:
> Assuming I have 3 files... All will fit on the DVD, but only one will
> fit on each CD.  If I specify the DiskId at the file level, everything
> always goes onto Disk1 unless I edit the "reusable" fragment.

Use three media IDs, one for each file. In your DVD product, each Media
element points to the same layout. In your CD product, a different layout
each.

> and it's GUID.  Unfortunately, the file element specifies the DiskId
> and only the "primary" state being installed will fit on the DVD.  The
> partial files need to go onto DVD 2 (DiskId 2).

Same as example #1, really. Have as many Media IDs as you need to cover the
different scenarios (three whole states, plus overlaps). In the Media
elements for each Product element, you can lay them out however fits your
CDs/DVDs.

--
sig://boB
http://joyofsetup.com/