The problem is that if I installed everything via the old method (each
of the three files set up as its own assembly with its own WinSxS
folder) and then copied the DLL2 and DLL3 files from their WinSxS
folders into the WinSxS folder for DLL1 then everything ran correctly.

If i can just recreate that situation with the installer then
everything would be fine, but Wix/Msi seems to refuse to copy
additional files into DLL1's WinSxS folder unless they're included in
the assembly manifest. Despite the fact they're part of DLL1's
Component block in Wix.