The bit about the icon ID needing to end with a specific extension relates
to using the icon as the icon for a shortcut to a file, where the extension
of the file (which for this purpose must be a portable executable, such as a
resource-only DLL) must match the extension of the file pointed to.

Presumably there's some version of the Windows shell which doesn't work
correctly if this is not the case.

It's OK to put multiple icons into the DLL if all the shortcuts which use it
share the same extension (in this case you set the IconIndex to the
appropriate icon in the file). If you're going to support advertising or
installing multiple features independently, you might want to consider a
separate icon DLL for each feature, but there's not a lot of overhead in
icons.

When you advertise or install a package, Windows Installer dumps the
contents of the Icon table to [WindowsFolder]\Installer\{product-GUID}. The
icon ID is used as the filename of the icon. Therefore you should make the
file containing the icon(s) as small as possible (i.e. create a separate DLL
for the icons, don't use your actual executable as it will be included twice
in the package AND installed twice.) Particularly you shouldn't use anything
that isn't yours to ship.

I don't think there's a problem with using extensionless IDs for
ARPPRODUCTICON but I'd stick with using .ico, at least for an actual .ico
file, in case.

--
Mike Dimmick