Mike Dimmick wrote:

The TypeLib/@HelpDirectory attribute's value is supposed to be the ID of the directory, not a Formatted type. Use INSTALLDIR, not [INSTALLDIR].

The documentation isn't very helpful as it's generated directly from the XML schema, which in the main doesn't differentiate between different logical types of string. This is partly due to the difficulty of defining regular expressions for the different types to limit the allowed characters, because WiX also supports using compile-time and localization-time variables in place of at least some identifiers (they must of course ultimately resolve to identifiers). I'm not sure if it's possible to define a new type based on String with no additional restrictions.

I just added a new error message for this case: Where an identifier is expected but the compiler gets a "[BLAHBLAH]" string instead, it throws a more specific error message.

--
sig://boB
http://joyofsetup.com/