From: Mike Dimmick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:33 PM
To: Michal Peled; wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [WiX-users] Wix 3.0 and IIS 7.0

You have to turn on IIS6 Metabase Compatibility, and rollback is not
supported - because in their infinite wisdom the IIS team didn't
implement all the IIS metabase API, specifically not including the
backup and restore APIs, which the WiX custom actions use to implement
rollback. (Reference:
http://www.iis.net/articles/view.aspx/IIS7/Use-IIS7-Administration-Tools
/Using-XML-Configuration/Metabase-Compatibility-with-IIS7, "Features
like history files, backup/restore and import/export work differently
because they rely on the new configuration system. ABO calls to backup
configuration will therefore be ignored."

If you prefer you could detect IIS 7.0 (Vista, Server 2008) and use the
XmlConfig actions to directly edit the local XML config files rather
than going via the metabase custom actions, but of course you'll lose
the nice syntax.

For context - IIS 7.0 has moved many settings from the core metabase to
per-application configuration files, in order to better support ASP.NET
hosting simply by dropping files into the appropriate folders. For
reference, see
http://www.iis.net/articles/view.aspx/IIS7/Use-IIS7-Administration-Tools
/Using-XML-Configuration/Introduction-to-ApplicationHost-config.

I'm not honestly sure which mechanism we should be looking at for IIS
7.0 support. Editing XML files seems very flaky, to be honest. Knowing
our luck WMI will get broken next time (and it's not terribly easy to
use from C++). Launching a command line EXE is seriously flawed.
PowerHell cmdlets are right out (managed custom actions are bad). It
really seems like installing websites from an MSI installer wasn't even
considered.

--

Mike Dimmick