Bob Arnson írta:
> Szentpali Janos wrote:
>> "Merge modules are generally now considered bad practice..." If this
>> is true than what is the point of the whole MSI system? I mean if I
>> have a 3rd party component (x.dll) that 4th party and 5th party are
>> using too, how does the system decide that the x.dll component
>> installed by the 4th party's installer and the x.dll component
>> installed by the 5th party's installer are the same and how does it
>> make sure that upon un-install it is only un-installed if both (all)
>> products are un-installed and that it IS un-installed if both (all)
>> products are un-installed? I'm thinking of a "common file" placed
>> under say "%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\3rd Party\x.dll"..
>
> MSI manages that at the component level; merge modules are an
> authoring construct, not an installation construct. Because patches
> target products, not components, however, most redistributables are
> shipped as MSI packages, not merge modules.

Does that mean that the same file, installed by two unrelated setup
packages into the same path, with two distinct component and file ids
(guids) will still be correctly uninstalled/managed? I mean if you
uninstall the product that was installed last, will the file be left for
the first product to use? Will the file be completly removed when both
products will have been uninstalled?

--
Szentpáli János