On Jan 2, 2008 4:22 PM, Mike Dimmick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What you specify in the Icon elements gets incorporated in your .msi as a
> binary at build time, so it should be something you have control over, not
> attempting to use a system executable.
>
> The warning message is described in the documentation for the Icon table,
> where it states:
>
> "Icon files that are associated with shortcuts must be in the EXE binary
> format and must be named such that their extension matches the extension of
> the target. The shortcut will not work if this rule is not followed. For
> example, if a shortcut is to point to a resource having the key file
> Red.bar, then the icon file must also have the extension .bar. Multiple
> icons can be stuffed into the same icon file as long as all of the target
> files have the same extension."
>
> The Id attribute is used for the icon file's name when it is extracted onto
> the system. So you should use something like:
>
> <Icon Id="helpicon.chm" SourceFile="myhelpicon.dll" />

Thanks for the reply, but I'm even more confused now...

Doesn't the above code violate the above paragraph? Having the icon
for a *.chm pointing to a *.dll? I'm still not sure how to solve the
problem of creating a help icon for my .CHM shortcut. Should I be
creating a single DLL that only contains the help icon (and if I copy
the one from WinHlp32.exe, am I violating some sort of Microsoft
copyright)? Is there some way to have the icon point to a file that's
already installed?

Surely others have solved this, what was your solution?

--
-Chris